Dr. Rick Bartosik
Lecture Series: The Doctrine of Christ
Lecture 2: "The Deity of Christ"
THE DEITY OF CHRIST
Introduction: Athanasius, in his debate with Arius in the 4th century, was one of the earliest Christian writers to point out that the Old Testament teaches that only God can save. Yet in the New Testament Christ is the Savior. What does this statement concerning the function of Christ tell us about His identity? If Jesus Christ is capable of functioning as Savior, who must he be? The only possible solution, Athanasius argued, is to accept that Jesus is God incarnate:
- Only God can save
- Jesus Christ saves
- Therefore Jesus Christ is God.
Christ Has The Attributes Of Deity
- Eternal (John 8:58)
- Omnipresent (John 3:13; Matthew 18:20; 28:20)
- Omniscient (John 16:30; 21:17)
- Omnipotent (Isaiah 9:6; Hebrews 1:3; Mark 4:35-41)
- Immutable (Hebrews 1:12; 13:8)
Christ Has The Offices Of Deity
- Creator (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:10)
- Upholder of all things (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3)
Christ Has The Prerogatives Of Deity
- He forgives sins (Matthew 9:2,6)
- He will raise the dead (John 5:25-29)
- He will be the final judge of all men (John 5:22)
Christ Is Identified With Jehovah Of The Old Testament
- He was the creator (Psalm 102:24-27; Hebrews 1:10-12)
- He was seen by Isaiah (Isaiah 6:1-4; John 12:41)
- He was preceded by a forerunner (Isaiah 40:3; Matthew 3:3; Malachi 3:1; Luke 1:76)
- He is the object of faith (Joel 2:32; Romans 10:9,13)
Christ Is Identified By Names And Titles That Imply Deity
- "Immanuel" (Matthew 1:22; Isaiah 7:14)
- "God our Savior" (I Timothy 1:1; 2:3; Titus 1:3; 2:10; 3:4)
- In several passages "Jesus" and "God" are so grammatically related to each other as to teach their essential unity (II Thessalonians 1:12; Titus 2:13; II Peter 1:1)
- "Logos" John 1:1-2 He is to God what speech is to thought--the expression of it. Jesus as the "Word" revealed God to us.
- "Image" Colossians 1:15 Perfectly manifests God
- "Exact image" Hebrews 1:3
- "First born" Colossians 1:15 in sense of preeminence not chronology
- "Jehovah" Luke 1:76; Malachi 3:1
Christ's Own Consciousness And Claims Prove His Deity
- He claimed eternal pre-existence (John 8:58)
- He claimed absolute oneness with the Father (John 10:28-33)He placed Himself on terms of equality with the Father (John 5:17-22)
- He equated a man's attitude toward Him with his attitude toward God: To honor him was to honor God (John 5:23); to know Him was to know God (John 14:7-9); to believe in Him was to believe in God (John 12:44); to receive Him was to receive God (Mark 9:37); to hate Him was to hate God (John 15:23).
- He claimed that He will raise the dead and be the final judge of all men (John 5:22)
Copyright © 1999-2006 Rick Bartosik
Bible Doctrines - The Doctrine of Christ
To view in web page format, please click on the "Web Version" link. If you would like to download the file please click on the "Acrobat (PDF) Version."
|Title || |
Anticipationsof Christ in the Old Testament
| || || |
The Deityof Christ
| || || |
JesusChrist the God-Man
| || || |
To view Adobe Acrobat files (PDF Version), you will need Adobe's Free Acrobat Reader.
The Acrobat Reader can be downloaded by clicking here.
Church Office: 95-801 Kipapa Drive, Room 2, Mililani, Hawaii 96789-3737
Services: Mililani Waena Elementary School Cafeteria
Pastor: Dr. Rick Bartosik
Web Site Comments or Questions?
Copyright © 1999-2007Mililani Community Church
D e s i g n e d
P o w e r e d
Mililani Community Church is a growing congregation of the Evangelical Free Church of America. Proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ in Hawaii and around the world. Feel free to call us at 808-625-6205 or visit our web site. Pastor Rick Bartosik.
mililani churches,hawaii churches,churches in hawaii,church in hawaii, mililani community church,hawaii,mililani,community of mililani,oahu churches,evangelical free church of america,efca churches in hawaii,efca churches,christian churches,evangelical churches,sermons,sermon,bible, bible teaching,jesus christ